Friday, September 14, 2001

Point / Weaker Point: Alternative Semesters

Semester At Sea
- By Elaine Lewis, CAS Junior

It took all the courage I had to sign up for the Semester At Sea program. I didn't have a lot of money, I needed to fulfill my Psych requirements, I had never been out of the U.S. before, and I didn't even have a passport. But somehow all these stumbling blocks were removed and I went for three months aboard a traveling ship that went to seven different countries. And now, looking back on it, I can say without a doubt that it was the best experience of my life.

I was extremely nervous before we landed on the shore of our first country of the trip, Cuba. What I found instead was possibly the greatest experience of my life. While shopping in the Havana town center, I met two Cubans, Juan and Elian (and no, it wasn't Elian Gonzales!). I sat and talked with them for five hours (they spoke English fluently). They even bought me shots of rum and lit up a genuine Cuban cigar for me to smoke. And when the bill came they insisted that they pay. I couldn't believe it. Here are these two poor farmers from rural Cuba treating me to drinks. I was blown away by their humility and hospitality. I don't think I will ever forget Juan and Elian as long as I live. I still write letters to them, too. Not as much as I would like, but every now and again.

Those were just two of the people I met. Later I would go on to meet other wonderful people like Najobi from Kenya, Ahamani from Afghanistan, Niko from Japan, Matesh from India, and Samaia from Viet Nam; people who taught me so much about life, kindness, and happiness.

Don’t get me wrong, the trip did have its share of small problems, but looking back, they were nothing compared to the cultures I experienced and the people I met. Semester At Sea was the most amazing experience I've ever had.




Semester Of Semen
- By Angelina Dixon, CAS Sophomore

Oh my God, I had the best experience of my life last semester. It was something completely different from anything I've ever done. Wow, just thinking back on the memories, it was incredible.

It started out easy enough last September. I was a shy girl from Altoona who finally made it to the big city. I was so overwhelmed by everything: the tall buildings, the homeless begging for change, and all the cute boys all around me. I hate to admit it now, but I was a virgin when I first came to Pitt. But all that changed after a party at a fraternity house up on the Hill.

I went up the Hill for the first time during the first week of school with a couple girls on my floor. At first, I was intimidated. I just stood around and watched all my friends shake their booty on the dance floor. Then after about four or five rum and cokes (I don't drink beer, it's gross!) I met up with my friends on the dance floor. No more than two songs after that, this really good-looking guy was dancing with me. I couldn't believe it, here I was, this shy girl from Altoona, at a college party dancing with a college guy! But that was only the beginning. He took me up to his room and the rest is history: we had sex, me for the first time. It was OK as far as I remember, but after that I knew what I wanted. I was going to be changed forever. And I was! I had all kinds of sex, with all kinds of men. It was the best! I've done all kinds of positions too (I never knew there was more than one!): doggie style, missionary, on top, standing up, Lotus Flower, kneeling down, bending over, and a whole bunch of others too. Just between you and me, my favorite is doggie :), ruff, ruff.

It wasn't all pleasure, however. This one time I thought I had gonorrhea. I was so scared, but then, I went to Student Health and they told me it was only a yeast infection (thank God). But looking back now, those last three months were the best of my life. Thanks to every guy (and that one girl, he, he) who made it possible.

No comments: